VMware has Released App Volumes 2006 (4.1)
VMware has released App Volumes 2006 also known as version 4.1.
this version can also be used with Horizon Cloud on Azure, see the blog here.
- Streamlined assignment flow
- As new assignments are created a confirmation dialog box is presented to the admin with an overview of what changes will be made. If the new assignments replace existing assignments, these assignments are updated without the necessity to remove the previous assignments beforehand.
- Assignment filters: Limit delivery to specific computers
- Back by popular demand and enhanced for App Volumes 4! Application owners can now limit the delivery of application packages to specific computers based on the computer’s name prefix.
- Multi-format delivery with MSIX app attach (preview)
- App Volumes Manager now enables packagers to use all the same lifecycle and assignment marker features of App Volumes Manager with different package formats side-by-side. The App Volumes agent can now leverage Microsoft’s native app attach functions alongside its own App Volumes virtualization format, giving packagers and application owners more packaging options and wider format support. MSIX app attach VHDs must be treated with the App Volumes Packaging Utility fling which supplements the VHD with metadata required by App Volumes Manager before import.
- Note: Microsoft’s MSIX app attach package format is in public preview and available for evaluation only on Microsoft Windows 2004. For more information, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/app-attach.
- LDAP support for channel binding
- In response to the March 2020 ADV190023 | Microsoft Guidance for Enabling LDAP Channel Binding and LDAP Signing, App Volumes Manager and agent have been upgraded to use channel binding. Configure App Volumes Manager to use LDAPS or LDAP over TLS to support the new Active Directory security modes. For more information, see KB article 77093.
- YYMM product version alignment
- Starting with this release, App Volumes 4 is now versioned using the YYMM format (version 2006) to align with Horizon, Microsoft Windows, and current industry practices. The previous x.y.z (4.1.0) semantic versioning scheme remains available for each of the components including the App Volumes Manager and agent.
- Performance improvements
- Building on the technology introduced in App Volumes 4, this release brings performance improvements to speed up user logins.
- Rolling upgrade
- To help achieve zero-downtime, rolling upgrade of App Volumes Manager (AVM) has returned. Starting with the first release of App Volumes 4, administrators can update one App Volumes Manager server at a time while the others are running. See the App Volumes Installation Guide for more details.
- Note: Before upgrading each server to App Volumes 4, all App Volumes 2.x AVM services must be disabled (disconnected from the database).
- System requirements (added support)
- Microsoft Office 2019
- Microsoft SQL Server 2019
- Microsoft Windows 10, version 2004
- Documentation updates
- Added information about policy (snapvol.cfg) customization and batch script files to the Administration Guide.
- The App Volumes agent parameter, VolWaitTimeout, type REG_DWORD, used for configuring the volume behavior is not supported and must not be used.
See the full release notes here.